The International Rice Genome Sequencing Project (IRGSP), a consortium of
publicly funded laboratories, was established in 1997 to obtain a high quality, map-based
sequence of the rice genome using the cultivar Nipponbare of Oryza sativa ssp. japonica.
It is currently comprised of ten members: Japan, the United States of America, China, Taiwan,
Korea, India, Thailand, France, Brazil, and the United Kingdom. The IRGSP adopts the clone-by-clone
shotgun sequencing strategy so that each sequenced clone can be associated with a specific position
on the genetic map and adheres to the policy of immediate release of the sequence data to the
public domain. In December 2004, the IRGSP completed the sequencing of the rice genome.
The high-quality and map-based sequence of the entire genome is now available in public databases.
Rice Functional Genomics, Challenges, Progress and Prospects.
Springer, Upadhyaya, Narayana M. (Ed.) [Springer] [Amazon]
Decoding the rice genome
Vij S, Gupta V, Kumar D, Vydianathan R, Raghuvanshi S, Khurana P, Khurana JP, Tyagi AK.
BioEssays 28.4: 421-432
A fine physical map of the rice chromosome 5
Cheng CH, Chung MC, Liu SM, Chen SK, Kao FY, Lin SJ, Hsiao SH, Tseng IC, Hsing YI,
Wu HP, Chen CS, Shaw JF, Wu J, Matsumoto T, Sasaki T, Chen HH, Chow TY.
Molecular Genetics and Genomics. 274: 337-345
The sequence of rice chromosomes 11 and 12, rich in disease resistance genes and recent gene duplications
The Rice Chromosomes 11 and 12 Sequencing Consortia
BMC Biology 2005, 3:20
Sequence, annotation, and analysis of synteny between rice chromosome 3 and diverged grass species
The Rice Chromosome 3 Sequencing Consortium
Genome Research 15:1284-1291, 2005
The map-based sequence of the rice genome
International Rice Genome Sequencing Project.
Nature 436: 793-800
In-Depth View of Structure, Activity, and Evolution of Rice Chromosome 10
The Rice Chromosome 10 Sequencing Consortium
The genome sequence and structure of rice chromosome 1
Sasaki T, Matsumoto T, Yamamoto K, Sakata K, Baba T, Katayose Y, Wu J, Niimura Y, Cheng Z, Nagamura Y,
Antonio BA, Kanamori H, Hosokawa S, Masukawa M, Arikawa K, Chiden Y, Hayashi M, Okamoto M, Ando T,
Aoki H, Arita K, Hamada M, Harada C, Hijishita S, Honda M, Ichikawa Y, Idonuma A, Iijima M, Ikeda M,
Ikeno M, Ito S, Ito T, Ito Y, Ito Y, Iwabuchi A, Kamiya K, Karasawa W, Katagiri S, Kikuta A,
Kobayashi N, Kono I, Machita K, Maehara T, Mizuno H, Mizubayashi T, Mukai Y, Nagasaki H, Nakashima M,
Nakama Y, Nakamichi Y, Nakamura M, Namiki N, Negishi M, Ohta I, Ono N, Saji S, Sakai K, Shibata M,
Shimokawa T, Shomura A, Song J, Takazaki Y, Terasawa K, Tsuji K, Waki K, Yamagata H, Yamane H,
Yoshiki S, Yoshihara R, Yukawa K, Zhong H, Iwama H, Endo T, Ito H, Hahn JH, Kim HI, Eun MY, Yano M,
Jiang J, Gojobori T.
Sequence and analysis of rice chromosome 4
Feng Q, Zhang Y, Hao P, Wang S, Fu G, Huang Y, Li Y, Zhu J, Liu Y, Hu X, Jia P, Zhang Y, Zhao Q,
Ying K, Yu S, Tang Y, Weng Q, Zhang L, Lu Y, Mu J, Lu Y, Zhang LS, Yu Z, Fan D, Liu X, Lu T, Li C,
Wu Y, Sun T, Lei H, Li T, Hu H, Guan J, Wu M, Zhang R, Zhou B, Chen Z, Chen L, Jin Z, Wang R, Yin H,
Cai Z, Ren S, Lv G, Gu W, Zhu G, Tu Y, Jia J, Zhang Y, Chen J, Kang H, Chen X, Shao C, Sun Y, Hu Q,
Zhang X, Zhang W, Wang L, Ding C, Sheng H, Gu J, Chen S, Ni L, Zhu F, Chen W, Lan L, Lai Y, Cheng Z,
Gu M, Jiang J, Li J, Hong G, Xue Y, Han B.
- Report of 2004 2nd Interim Working Group Meeting in Tucson, Arizona, November 18,2004
- Report of 2004 Working Group Meeting in Tsukuba, February 4, 2004 , Group photo at the finishing workshop
- Report of 2003 2nd Working Group Meeting in Shanghai, November 22, 2003
- Report of 2003 Working Group Meeting in Tsukuba, February 5, 2003
- Report of 2002 2nd Interim Working Group Meeting in Tokyo, Japan, December 19,2002
- Report of 2002 Interim Working Group Meeting in Genoscope, France, May 23-24,2002 , Group photo at the meeting
- Report of 2002 Working Group Meeting and Sequencing Workshop in Tsukuba,February 5-6, 2002
- IRGSP Press Release, December 21,2001
- Report of 2001 Interim Working Group Meeting in TIGR, USA, October 29-30,2001
- Report of IRGSP Technical Workshop,June 8,2001 , Group photo at the meeting
- International Rice Genome Sequencing Project Guidelines(Revised Feb 2001)
- Press Release on IRGSP Working Group Meeting, February 9, 2001
- Report of 2001 Sequencing Workshop and Working Group Meeting, February 8, 2001
- Report of 2000 Interim Working Group Meeting in Clemson, USA, September 19-20, 2000
- Monsanto Sequence and Physical Map Contribution to the IRGSP (April 2000)
- Report of 1999 Interim Working Group Meeting in Phuket,Thailand, September 20, 1999
- Report of Second Working Group Meeting in Tsukuba, Japan February 7, 1999 , Group photo at the meeting
- Report of Interim Working Group Meeting in Miami Beach, Florida September 17, 1998
- An International Collaboration to Sequence the Rice Genome
- Newsletter for International Rice Genome Sequencing Project
Comments, questions and suggestions to the IRGSP.